Sorting out the right gears for your trip in the Himalayas is equally important as planning out your visit-list and itineraries. The type of tools and luggage you carry along with you could prove to be your strength or end up being your weakness. Here are the lists of some of the essential items necessary for a successful trek:
Bags and Rucksacks
- A soft day pack to that can hold up to 2 water bottles, a warm jacket, a rain jacket, camera, sunscreen, medicines and sometimes crampons to pass some paths and peaks. A hip belt is beneficial to shed some load off your shoulders. You should check for the quality of bags while buying them and also take it around for short walks for the trial.
- Sleeping bags can be very handy in the higher altitudes on a cold night. It should be light and warm, either synthetic or down. Some trips may even require to camp outside, so a sleeping bag is a must here.
- Wide brimmed hat or baseball cap and sunglasses with UV protection to shade against the sun.For people wearing contact lenses it is advisable to bring their extra pair of glasses as well.
- Light weight T-shirts, preferably of synthetic materials for quick drying. Long sleeved-shirts is suitable to prevent sun burns.
- Down/Fleece layers.
- Waterproof and windproof hooded jackets.
- Loose, light weight trousers, shorts or skirts that dry quickly as well.
- Water proof over-trousers. Make sure it is breathable.
- Sturdy trekking boots.
- Trainers shoe.
- Sandals or flip-flops.
- Waterproof and breathable gaiter for wet days.
- Thin socks..
- Underwear as per requirement.
Socks and under garments
- Light-weight but powerful torch or head torch with extra bulb and batteries.
- Light-weight, easy drying towels, one large and one small.
- Water purification tablets or liquid.
- Blister pads, plasters, aspirin/paracetamol for headache, lozenges for sore throat, antiseptic cream, rehydration sachets, and other medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Healthy snack bars, energy bars or power drinks.
- Cosmetics like skin moisturizer, lip balm, sun screen and wet tissues/pocket tissues.
- Sewing kit.
- Nail cutter and tweezers.
- Plastic bags to keep dirty clothes.
- Books, notebook and pencil.
- Camera, video camera with extra batteries..
- Travel games or deck of cards.
The above utilities all may not be necessary depending on the type of trip you have chosen. Please feel free to consult with the travel agency for any discussion regarding the luggage requirements in your chosen trip.